Saturday, February 22, 2014

Laryngitis

To be voiceless is one of the most anxiety producing states for a singer such as I.  I need to sing.  For the last 10 days I have been quite nervous about the state of my voice.  From 2 days of only being able to whisper to 8 of speaking an octave below my usual register I am wondering if I will be able to perform in the upcoming Mozart/Taneyev concert.
I have received all kinds of advice and have followed most of it.  I have drank pots of tea with honey, lemon and whiskey in various combinations.  I have rubbed Vicks VapoRub on chest, back, neck and feet.
Last week I arrived in the rehearsal room ready to  go over my part with heart and brain.  My conductor did not want me to do even this as he said that alone could strain my vocal chords.  He said just thinking my line would tire out my voice so I only did a bit of that and mostly listened to the other voice parts.  It was during this exercise that I was hit by the beauty of the soprano line and the skill with which our nimble ladies navigated their Mozart Melismas.  In the end it was quite nice to have spent the rehearsal time really listening to the other voice parts but this did nothing to secure my part in my voice. I am quite worried about not being ready in time. 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like your voice came back in time. I listened twice to Mozart's Mass in C minor, of course a fan. It is Mozart. Beautiful! I want to now talk in Latin, if only I knew how, only know the few words from music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh forgot to say, enjoy the performance today.

    ReplyDelete